Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content



(update 29/11/2019)

The United Kingdom announced on 29 March 2017 its decision to withdraw from the European Union. As a result, it will no longer be a member of the European Union.

The negotiations between the United Kingdom and the European Union on the conditions of the withdrawal are still ongoing. The withdrawal agreement has been negotiated but not yet ratified.

The following European Council decision taken in agreement with the United Kingdom has been adopted on 28 October 2019:

  • the period for withdrawal from the EU is further extended until 31 January 2019;
  • the Withdrawal Agreement may enter into force on an earlier date, should the Parties complete their respective ratification procedures before 31 January 2020. Consequently, the withdrawal should take place on the first day of the month following the completion of the ratification procedures.

The following information is therefore provisional and may be modified as a result of the ongoing negotiations. For this reason, the Immigration Office is not yet able to answer questions about individual files.

  • Impact if the United Kingdom withdraws from the EU with a withdrawal agreement: Deal


!!! UK's Settled Status Scheme: no visa exemption to travel to other Member States !!!

We have been informed about some difficulties that non-EU family members of EU citizens holding a residence document issued pursuant to the UK's Settled Status scheme are facing when travelling to another EU Member State.

We wish to inform you that residence documents issued under the UK's Settled Status scheme do not exempt from the visa requirement, contrary to residence cards issued pursuant to the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 which enacts Directive 2004/38/EC on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States (type of permit: family member – EU residence).

As a result, non-EU family members of EU citizens who are subject to a visa requirement and who only hold a residence document issued under the UK's Settled Status scheme must apply for an entry visa when travelling to another EU Member State.